This is a very moreish cake (i’m on my 2nd slice already) It definitely is improved by the small amount of almond flour added-adds to the nutty, toasted taste.
50g sesame seeds 120g softened unsalted butter 185g Caster sugar 1tsp vanilla extract 2 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil 2 eggs 150g plain flour 120ml buttermilk (i squeezed lemon juice into milk and let it stand for 10 or so minutes) 50g almond flour 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1/4 tsp salt
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds using a dry pan. Keep an eye on them as they do suddenly burn!
- Cream together the butter and sugar til light and fluffy
- Add 1 egg at a time to this
- Beat in the vanilla extract and toasted sesame seed oil
- Fold in both of the flours, salt, bicarbonate of soda,
- Then the sesame seeds…
- Finally the buttermilk/lemonified milk
- Put mixture into a greased, lined cake pan (normal sponge size)
Put in a fan assisted oven at 160c for 35 Minutes.
* I covered the cake with foil for the last 10 minutes of cooking to protect it from blackening,
Once cooked, let the cake stand in its tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Cut and EAT! (Can add sieved icing sugar to beautify if you wanna!)